The book tells about how partners Lucius Beebe and Charles Clegg introduced railroad photography and the world of railroading to wide popular audiences. The authors bring the best of Beebe and Clegg’s photographic work together in one book for the first time, using high quality duotone printing. A companion exhibition opened on September 21, 2018, at the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento, where it will be on display until March 31, 2019.
A new album from our Fred M. Springer Collection is available online. Featuring images from Springer’s travels to Austria and Czech Republic, the album includes this image a worker hanging on to the front of Pinzgauer local train diesel passenger locomotive no. 2095.01 in Krimml, Salzburg, Austria, on May 18, 2001.
Springer Collection Overview
- Gift of Fred and Dale Springer
- 8,000 B&W negatives
- 50,000 color slides
- 1940s to 2000s
- Coverage includes six inhabited continents, and especially the southwestern United States, Mexico, and South America
A new album from our Ted Rose Collection is available online. This album showcases Rose’s atmospheric images of steam operations in Mexico during 1960 and 1961. Special thanks go to Rose’s friend and fellow adventurer, Robert Ludwig, who drew from his own memories, notes, and photographs to identify many of the images in this album. You can view the whole album here: http://www.railphoto-art.org/collections/rose/mexican-railways/
In this Rose image, National Railways of Mexico 2-8-2 no. 2209 leads a southbound freight train up the grade up to Zacatecas, Mexico on August 17, 1961.
Rose Collection Overview
- Gift of Polly Rose
- 4,400 black-and-white prints and negatives
- 1950s and 1960s action shots of steam locomotives
- Coverage focuses on the late steam-era in the midwestern United States, Mexico, the Canadian Prairies, and Guatemala
A new album from our Donald W. Furler Collection is available online. It features Erie Railroad and includes this Erie Railroad 2-8-4 steam locomotive no. 3321 pulling a westbound freight train through Sloatsburg, New York, on May 12, 1940. Visit our website for the entire album: http://www.railphoto-art.org/collections/furler/erie-railroad/
Furler Collection Overview
- Gift of Alan G. Furler
- Approximately 5,000 images, mostly black-and-white negatives, many of the 5×7 size, as well as color slides in later years
- Portraits and action views of steam locomotives, primarily in the 1930s to 1950s
- Extensive coverage of the Mid-Atlantic region, as well as Appalachia and eastern Canada
- Railroads include the Erie, Delaware & Hudson, Jersey Central, Lehigh & Hudson River, Lehigh & New England, Lehigh Valley, New York Central, New York Ontario & Western, Reading, Lackawanna, Baltimore & Ohio, and Western Maryland