The Center for Railroad Photography & Art creates partnerships with photographers and museums to bring multiple forms of beautiful and significant railroad art to venues across the country. Stemming from a core focus to preserve and present significant images in railroading, our traveling exhibitions include both solo and group shows that span the history of railroading in the United States and beyond.
Since the first United States railroad thundered into action in 1829, American industry spread across the continent as tracks were driven down from coast to coast. The birth of railroads helped catapult the United States – and the world – into a new industrial age that defined modern society, as we know it. Following quick on its heels, the art of photography flourished in the late nineteenth century to capture not only memories but the beautiful forms of everyday life as well. Over the past century artists have aspired to document the enormous impact railroads have played in American history, society, and culture. Through appealing topics that encompass the almost 200-year-old history, the Center’s array of traveling exhibitions taps into not only significant educational themes profitable to all ages, but also introduces visitors to the stunning and evocative world of railroad photography.
If you would like to find out more about bringing one of our shows to your venue, please contact the Center at 608-251-5785 or send an email to info [at] railphoto-art [dot] org.
Exhibitions Currently on Display
- Milwaukee’s Beer Line, currently on display at the Right Bauer Brewing, in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, from October 1 to January 2, 2020
- After Promontory: 150 Years of Transcontinental Railroading, currently on display at the following locations:
- Hastings Museum, in Hastings, Nebraska, from September 19 to March 15, 2020
- Carnegie Arts Center, in Alliance, Nebraska, from September 24 to January 4, 2020
- Cheyenne Depot Museum, in Cheyenne, Wyoming, from April 2019 to April 2020
- San Mateo County History Museum, in Redwood City, California, from May 10, 2019 to May 1, 2021
- Architectural Heritage Center, in Portland, Oregon, from October 30 to April 24, 2020
- Faces of Railroading: The Making of Madison and Dane County, currently on display at the Dane County Regional Airport, in Madison, Wisconsin, from August 6, 2019 to January 26, 2020
- After Promontory: 150 Years of Transcontinental Railroading, coming to the following locations:
- Beebe & Clegg: Their Enduring Photographic Legacy, coming to the Colorado Railroad Museum, in Golden, Colorado, from February to August, 2021
- Faces of Railroading: The Making of Madison and Dane County, coming to the Verona Public Library, in Verona, Wisconsin, from March 16 to April 11, 2020
- Milwaukee’s Beer Line, coming to the Delavan Train Show, in Delavan, Wisconsin, on March 14 & 15, 2020
- Railroads and the American Industrial Landscape: Ted Rose Paintings and Photographs, coming to the Colorado Railroad Museum, in Golden, Colorado, from February 3 to August 2, 2020
- Requiem for Steam: The Railroad Photographs of David Plowden, coming to the Naples Depot Museum, in Naples, Florida, from January 14 to April 16, 2021
- Conversations 2020, at Lake Forest College, in Lake Forest, Illinois, from April 17-19, 2020
- Conversations Northeast 2020, at the University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut, September 19, 2020
About Our Exhibitions
Click on the links below to learn more about our current and past exhibitions