Dates: May 16–18, 2014
Location: The campus of cosponsor Lake Forest College (campus map), 30 miles north of Chicago, and the Chicago History Museum, 1601 North Clark Street. Learn more about the City of Lake Forest online or download the PDF overview.
Your Photographs: After purchasing your tickets, please send one of your recent photographs, preferably from the past year, for inclusion in a presentation of attendees’ photographs at the conference. Send one JPEG image file, either 1920 pixels wide or 1200 pixels high, to info [at] railphoto-art.org.
Patrons: If you feel strongly about the conference, consider becoming a patron (use the Paypal link at left). Patrons help offset travel costs for presenters, and the 20 patrons of Conversations 2013 also provided funds for two scholarships in 2014. Patrons are recognized in the program and receive free tickets for all print raffles.
Scholarships: Two scholarships, funded by conference patrons, are available to cover ticket prices, two nights of lodging (double occupancy), partial travel expenses to and from the conference. Young and/or emerging photographers and other visual artists are encourage to apply. The deadline is February 15.
Friday (5:30–9:00 p.m.):
- Reception with photography exhibition
- Victor Hand, on his new book, A Steam Odyssey (W.W. Norton, 2013)
Saturday (8:30–5:00, reception 5:00–7:00 p.m.):
- Jeff Brouws, Some Vernacular Railroad Photography
- Scott Conarroe, By Rail
- Mike Danneman and Ron Flanary
- Travis Dewitz
- Blair Kooistra
- Kevin P. Keefe, the paintings of George Gloff
- Kathi Kube
- Reception with exhibition of prints by Victor Hand
Sunday (9:00–1:00 at the Chicago History Museum):
- Private viewing of the Center’s exhibition Railroaders: Jack Delano’s Homefront Photography
- John Gruber, Chicago Union Station in the 1960s
- Glenn Willumson, photography of the first transcontinental railroad